Welcome to Harris County Municipal Utility District No. 148
Harris County Municipal Utility District No. 148 is a political subdivision of the state of Texas. Our elected Board of Directors is committed to providing the best quality governmental services. Our mission is to provide the following services to all taxpayers, customers and residents of the District, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin:
- To protect the health of our customers by providing drinking water that meets all state and federal standards for drinking water;
- To reduce subsidence by converting to surface water in compliance with the mandate of the Harris Galveston Coastal Subsidence District;
- To protect the natural resources of the state by encouraging water conservation and providing periodic educational materials regarding the same;
- To protect the health and environment by treating the sewage produced by our customers so that the wastewater effluent meets permitted requirements and all state and federal regulations for discharge into the public waters of the state;
- To protect the lives and property of our citizens from flooding by constructing and maintaining storm drainage facilities;
- To stimulate the growth of local minority and women business enterprises (“M/WBE”) by mandating a 17% participation goal for M/WBEs in all District construction contracts over $100,000;
- To enhance the community by providing quality garbage pick-up services twice a week;
- To protect our residents from crime by providing supplemental law enforcement services through an interlocal contract with Harris County for the services of the Sheriff’s Department;
- To provide open government and access for all our residents through the conduct of all Board of Directors meetings pursuant to the Texas Open Meetings Act and through the maintenance of all District records pursuant to the Public Information Act;
- To communicate effectively with and encourage the active participation of residents and taxpayers through the issuance of periodic newsletters regarding the District’s activities;
- To engage the best quality consultants to represent the District and work in its best interests; and
- To provide the highest quality services at the lowest possible cost to the residents and taxpayers.
In accordance with the Harris County closure of parks and playgrounds during the Quarantine – This notice is to let everyone know that the Basketball Court, Playgrounds/Playhouse, Swings as well as the Splash Pad are closed until further notice – Please do not use them.
The Board has been made aware that there are rental property owners instructing their lawn care and house repair personnel to dump trash at entrances & exits of the communities, of Greensbrook Place and Greensbrook Section 1.
If you see individuals or companies dumping items in our community please report this to the Harris County Sheriff’s Department at (713) 221-6000. Ask the dispatcher to give the physical location of illegal dumping in our community to our Contract Deputy on Duty.
We ask that residents take pictures of the violations, but do not approach the violator.
Sanitary Lift Station No. 1 – Construction of a new sanitary lift station to serve Kingslake Forest Subdivision. Another sanitary lift station is underway for Greensbrook Section 1.
Waterline Extension and Sanitary Forcemain — Partnership with Sheldon ISD to construct 9,000 feet of waterline and 13,000 feet of sanitary forcemain to serve a new school campus.
New Park and Fitness Areas — Delivery of 1,700 feet of jogging trail surrounding the District’s detention pond, a new play area, splash pad and pavilion near the District’s Administration Building to create a new community park amenity.
Youth Center — Addition of a basketball court with pavilion and a pedestrian bridge and trail connecting two District communities. The basketball court is located within Greensbrook Section 1.
Smart Meter Pilot Program – Implementation of a pilot program that includes 20 smart water meters.
Wastewater Treatment Plant Expansion – Facility expansion that will provide an additional 100,000 gallons per day of capacity. Another District facility expansion is also underway that will increase capacity by 300,000 gallons per day. Texas Water Development Board has approved funds for the expansion in the form of low interest rate bonds (rate to be well below market rates). Harris County Community Development Grant program has also conditionally awarded $1 million for the project.
Security Enhancement — Additional deputy for increased patrol coverage for District communities.
Continuation of recurring community programs including:
- National Night Out
- Back to School Assistance – Donation of back packs and school supplies to the children of HCMUD 148
- Annual Christmas Event in conjunction with the Water Smart Program
- Senior Citizen Program
- Summer Nutrition Program – Provides summer lunches for the District’s youth
Through the commitment and determination of our leadership and a group of dedicated consultants, we were able to deliver significant facility improvements, expanded amenities and enhanced service. The District was able to save more than $8 million through the receipt of grants. Our 2019 accomplishments were exciting, but in 2020 the best is yet to come as our work will bring even more progress and new beginnings for the District. We anticipate the receipt of additional funding to help us bring to reality even more community enhancements such as:
- Lift Station No. 2 Replacement
- Secondary waterline connection to Kingslake Forest water distribution system
- Water Plant yard piping improvements
- Third waterline connection to the District’s entire water distribution system
- Wastewater Plant Phase II Expansion
- Fire hydrant recoating and rehabilitation throughout the district
- Security enhancements with the addition of cameras at the Water Plant
- Soccer Fields
Progress is off to a great start this year. We will continue to keep you informed about the amazing successes being achieved in our District.
Calvet Shelley – President
Charles Randle – Vice President
Bobby Roberson – Secretary
Jacqueline McConnell – Assistant Secretary
Larry Canon – Treasurer